Buy to Let Mortgages

If you are looking to purchase your first Buy To Let property or you are an experienced landlord, our team of Buy to Let mortgage advisers would be happy to help you source the right mortgage deal.

With hundreds of mortgage products available on the market speaking to an adviser can make the process of sourcing a buy to let mortgage simple and if you have bad credit registered we have lenders that can help.

Speak to an Expert

I confirm that I have read and consent to my personal information being processed in accordance with The Money Hub's Privacy Policy. I also confirm that I have read The Money Hub’s E-Marketing to Customers and consent for The Money Hub to market to me by email. On receipt of this enquiry we will contact you to discuss your requirements.

Buy to Let Mortgages

Buy to let mortgages are specifically for when you want to buy a property to rent out to a 3rd party. Highly popular recently, professional landlords used buy to lets to enable them to build a property portfolio of rented properties that gave them an income stream whilst enjoying the appreciating price of the property itself. With low interest rates offering next to no return on capital, combined with many people unable to get on the housing ladder for a variety of reasons, renting has become more popular than ever and buy to let mortgages have seen a huge increase over recent years.

If you are considering becoming a landlord you will need a buy to let mortgage and there are certain things that you should consider before jumping in. Often for example you ill need to pay a larger deposit as security, often around the 25% level, although some buy to let mortgage lenders need a 40% deposit to secure the very best interest rates. Interest rates tend to be a little higher, but a buy to let mortgage is very similar to a standard mortgage in that each application is individually assessed, so better deals can be available depending on personal circumstances.

The next thing to consider when looking at buy to let mortgages is the rental income versus the mortgage repayments. Most lenders will want to see a 125% annual rental income over mortgage repayment. So if your annual buy to let mortgage repayment is £10,000 your lender will want to see an annual rental income yield over £12,500. There are also, on occasions a requirement for a "buffer" payment to cover short periods between tenants and subsequent loss of rental income.

Want to have a chat?

Speak to one of our experts...

What to Expect from The Money Hub

We Gather Information Required to Search the Market

We gather some basic information about you using our quick online form

Conduct a Whole of the Market Comparision

We will search 100’s of providers to find you the lenders who are willing to approve your mortgage

Provide full service through to completion

We will show you rates along with the monthly repayments. This will not affect your credit score. We’ll also explain any fees if you progress at this point and as long as you are happy to proceed, provide you with the full service through to completion of your mortgage being accepted

What our Customers think about us

Buy to Let Mortgage FAQ's

What is a buy to let mortgage?
This is where you arrange a mortgage on a property that you intend to rent out. With these types of mortgages you typically have to put down a deposit of 25% and the remaining 75% is provided by a buy to let mortgage. The amount you can borrow as a mortgage typically depends upon the rental income you are likely to receive, however some lenders do allow you to factor in your own income if the rental income is short - In this situation a full income and expenditure review would be required to ensure you had a suitable disposable income.
How long does a buy to let mortgage take to process?
A remortgage would typically take 4-6 weeks to complete, however buying a property may take longer as you have to wait until the seller is ready to move. The key with a smooth mortgage application is to ensure all the relevant documents are provided to the mortgage broker and the conveyancer when requested.
Can I get a buy to let mortgage with a bad credit history?
This depends upon may factors, for example, how much of a deposit do you have, when was the bad credit was registered, have you since satisfied the bad credit and what type of debt was the bad credit registered on (credit cards, loans or mortgage). This is a more complex area. Firstly you should get a copy of your credit report from a credit agency such as Experian, Equifax or Check My File and then discuss your options with an experienced mortgage broker in this area.